Re: Handling of (inactive) Debian Accounts

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:04:24AM +0100, Daniel Baumann wrote:
> > a DD not interested in Debian "politics" has no need to be a DD. If
> > it's just a matter of technical work then sponsorship would be
> > enough.
> Do I understand you right, that, according to your opinion, people like
> me should ask the DAM to remove their key?

I'm sorry, but I don't know how do you relate with my analysis. Do you
usually vote for the DPL elections or GRs? If not then yes, I feel you
don't need a key (but see below). Of course this do not imply you should
ask for the removal: there's a deficiency in our boolean sharp
distinction among DDs and non-DDs, but that's not your fault.

BTW, if you actually don't vote in either DPL elections or GRs, may I
ask you why?

> I'm not saying that I do much, but I could do less than a third of it
> when not beeing able to upload myself.

Sure, that's a matter of easiness in performing your work. IMO it should
be possible to work on packages without having the need of being a DD
(i.e. without the right/duty to vote) and without having the burden of
ask for sponsorship.

In other words I'm totally in favour of a more fine grained
classification of Debian contributors on the lines of what has been
discussed at DebConf6 (IIRC during a BOF/talk by Myon):
- sporadic contributors (no vote right/duty, no upload permission)
- maintainer (no vote right/duty, upload permission)
- DD (vote right/duty, upload permission)

Cheers.