Handling of /usr/share/locale for package name changes

        Hi there,

 Some shared libraries have gettext translations below /usr/share/locale
 with the source package name as textdomain.  When such a shared lib
 changes SONAME, how are you handling it?

 1) check all strings to see whether there are only additions and no
 incompatible changes, and add a Replace: $oldpackage to $newpackage

 2) don't really check, add a replace, and cross your finger that no
 format string such as "%s: %s" was changed incompatibly (to "%s: %s
 %s" :-)

 3) patch $newpackage to use a different textdomain

 The problem I have with 3) is that it might introduce some
 incompatibilities; for example it would break the approach used in the
 Ubuntu "language packs" which I think rely on the name of the .mo files
 to work.  I'm not sure to what extent the translations are part of the
 ABI of the library.

   Bye,
--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>