Re: RFC: use readable $(cmd) syntax instead of unreadable `cmd`

On pe, 2007-02-09 at 20:11 +0200, Jari Aalto wrote:
> I'm askinf if it is ok to to reopen such bugs based of better QA
> aspects.

It's a matter of style and taste. Unless you can quote verifiable
statistics that using backticks instead of $() is causing problems (that
is, bug numbers), let it be. There's real problems to be fixed.

(Personally, I prefer $() instead of backticks. Haven't used backticks
for a while now.)

If you insist going forward with this, then please also file bugs (with
patches, preferably) to pre-emptively prevent problems when the wrong
programming language is used (C instead of Python, Perl instead of Lisp,
Haskell instead of assembler), and also for all packages that are
lacking test cases that excercise at least every statement in the code.

--
Fundamental truth #2: Attitude is usually more important than skills.