Re: Parallel build results

Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> writes:
> On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 11:13:53PM +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:

>> It appears that ExtUtils::MakeMaker, a standard Perl module commonly
>> used to generate Makefiles for Perl modules, emits the rule:
>>
>> install :: all pure_install doc_install
>>
>> This appears to account for the failure of some of my Perl packages,
>> and probably many others.  This should be fixed in MakeMaker, not in
>> the packages that use it.
>
> About the only option I can see is to use something like:
>
>   install :: all
>           $(MAKE) pure_install doc_install
>
> which I'm not terribly keen on.  I'm open to better suggestions.

As long as you also have:

pure_install:: all
doc_install:: all

won't make figure it out even with the first form?  It may try to run all
three at the same time, but it will then realize that the second two
depend on all anyway, so all should be forced to go first and complete
before either of the other targets run.