Re: New field in binary stanza

David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> writes:

> would it be possible to have a "License" field in the information of a
> package?  I mean, "apt-cache show foo" shows the fields defined in
> debian/control and some others. Would it be possible to parse the
> license from debian/copyright and add it to that info? Or, at least,
> give the chance to developers to use something like XS-License: in the
> source stanza of debian/control?

You cannot reduce the licensing status of a package to a small number of
keywords in many cases.  It's really only possible for packages covered by
the "big licenses" like the GPL.  Even with relatively standardized
licenses like MIT or BSD, there are slight variations in wording between
different packages.