Re: New field in binary stanza

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 16:51:13 +0100
David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi *,
> would it be possible to have a "License" field in the information of a package?

Why? What is the benefit?

A machine-interpretable format for debian/copyright is already
available. Why clutter the dpkg and apt-cache with licence lines?

We already have main vs contrib vs non-free. Why subdivide main?

Some packages can have multiple (compatible) licences - the details of
what is licenced under which can only be properly determined by reading
debian/copyright. It's installed for every package so I don't see the
point.

--

Neil Williams