Re: -Wl,--as-needed considered possibly harmful

Le jeudi 20 décembre 2007 à 00:41 -0800, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> > When many of the types used by GTK+ are those provided by GLib, it
> > sounds wrong to ask developers to include the GLib headers to have these
> > types available.
>
> Well, that part is fairly reasonable, I admit.  What isn't reasonable is to
> go from "including gtk.h lets you use glib types" to "calling pkg-config
> --libs gtk+-2.0 lets you invoke glib functions".

Most GTK+ data types are inherited from Glib, and you need at least to
free them with g_free, g_object_unref, g_slist_free, and so on.

I’ve tried to sum up in bug #456335 the garbage that remains in
GTK’s .pc files, so that in we end we can keep only the legitimate ones,
but I don’t think we can manage to drop things like glib and gobject.

--
 .''`.