Re: -Wl,--as-needed considered possibly harmful

Hi,

Le dimanche 09 décembre 2007 à 19:11 +0100, Bernhard R. Link a écrit :
> Just curing the symptoms instead of the problems will not help to get
> there any sooner.

What if there is no problem?

For example, pkg-config --libs gtk+-x11-2.0 will return, among others,
-lglib-2.0 and -lm. And this is perfectly intentional. The former is
here because you can assume glib functions are available when doing
"#include <gtk/gtk.h>". The latter is here because some macros need math
functions. Still, many binaries using it don’t need glib, and most of
them don’t need libm. There is nothing that can be done to avoid that,
the only way is a check that removes the dependency if it isn’t actually
needed.

--
 .''`.