wdg-html-validator versus w3c-html-validator

Hi All;

I noticed that wdg-html-validator had been orphaned for more than a
year, and since I use the offline validator script, I filed an ITA
(http://bugs.debian.org/390833). Now that I look at the logistics of
packaging it (download 5 files from 5 places, make .orig.tar.gz by
hand, no watch file) and the fact that it includes CGI, I am a little
less enthusiastic (this is emphatically not a criticism of Aurelien
Jarno's packaging work).

So, some questions:

1) If there is another good offline (i.e. shell command) html
validator in Debian? weblint-perl for (non)-example does not support
xhtml.

2) Are there any compelling advantages to the cgi validator provided
by wdg-html-validator versus w3c-html-validator?  The packages have
about the same popcon counts.

If the answer to 1=yes, 2=no, probably I will re-orphan.  If 1=no,
2=no, I might consider repackaging just the offline validator.

Thanks for any feedback,

David