Re: Injecting versions of build-deps in the deps

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007, Loïc Minier wrote:
>  I do imagine it wont be mandatory (or useful) for all libs as well and
>  I agree it should be added on a per package basis; one idea I
>  mentionned to Raphaël is to extend the shlibs / symbols system to allow
>  a syntax meaning "Take the build-dep version" instead of having a fixed
>  version; that is, instead of:
>     libgtk-x11-2.0 0 libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0)
>  we might have some macros like:
>     libgtk-x11-2.0 0 libgtk2.0-0 (>= $Build-Depends{libgtk2.0-dev})
>
>  Can be seen as "dynamic shlibs" or "shlibs macros".  (Or symbols.)

The only thing I really lack with symbols files is the mapping library ->
-dev package. Thus I'd suggest to simply add this information in a new
"header" line in the symbols file:

libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 libgtk2.0-0 #MINVER#
* Devel-Package: libgtk2.0-dev
 symbol@Base 2.8.0

The initial "*" is just there to make it clear to the parser that we're
not starting to list a new library but a header and "|" is already used
for alternate dependency templates. If the field is not there, then
there's no check of the build-depends version.

The feature is not that important for packages using shlibs since
they get strong dependency by default and it's fine that way.

How does that sound ?

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog