Re: Parallel build results

Hello,

Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> wrote:
> On Dec 02, Daniel Schepler <schepler@math.unipd.it> wrote:
>
>> I finally got through the test builds of all the source packages in sid for
>> i386 using dpkg-buildpackage -j3 on a dual core machine.  The results as
>> before are at http://people.debian.org/~schepler/build-logs/bymaint.html .
>
> Can you explain the meaning of this failure and how it should be fixed?
>
> make[2]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1.  Add `+' to parent make rule.

Quoting from http://lists.samba.org/archive/distcc/2004q1/002160.html

There are (at least?) three reasons why this might be so:

  1) The parent make didn't realize that the child process it was
     invoking was actually a "make" program.  In this case, it won't
     allow the child to connect to the jobserver.  This is typically
     because the command to invoke the child uses "make" or similar
     rather than the correct $(MAKE).  See the docs on the "+" token to
     understand the algorithm GNU make uses to determine if the child is
     a sub-make or not.

Bye, Jörg.
--
Wenn du nur einen Hammer hast, sieht jedes Problem aus wie ein Nagel.