Re: What to do when the LaTeX sources are missing, but an XML equivalent was rewritten from scratch ?

Le Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 10:45:03AM -0500, Marvin Renich a écrit :

> So Charles (the OP) could include his XML-based docs in the package in
> main, and create a separate package in non-free for the original docs
> (provided that Debian can distribute them) if he thinks the difference
> in aesthetic quality is worth the effort.

Dear all,

Indeed, because I do not see a positive outcome from this discussion, I
splitted the upstream sources between dialign-t_0.2.2.dfsg.orig.tar.gz
in which I removed the doc directory, and dialign-t-doc_0.2.2.orig.gz
that contains only the doc directory, the LGPL.TXT and LICENCE.TXT
files. The dialign-t-doc package has been uploaded to non-free despite
the fact that all its files are licenced under the LGPL, because it does
not satisfy the DFSG#2 under two assumptions that in my opinon are
wrong, but that I accept to follow since they seem to be majoritary in
Debian:

 - There is no difference between the formatting instructions that shape
   the text of a documentation and the code that determines the
   behaviour of a program.

 - There is no difference between a file for which the original author
   never publically published intermediate steps in its creation, and a
   file for wihch an intermediate has removed source code or formatting
   instructions that have been published earlier.

The documentation of dialign-t lacks files that would make it easier to
update the html, pdf and ps files in parallel, this is regrettable, but
the information in these files is free and somebody who would want to
make a derived version of dialign-t still has plenty of options to
update the doc, in particular because what matters is not the format,
but the content.

PS: Somebody contributed me a latex file which is not the upstream one,
but which contains the information from the html documentation. Would
this file make the package acceptable for Debian ? Would the file need
to be in the tarball, or shipping it in the .diff.gz would be
sufficient?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy