Re: Early adopters of symbol based dependencies needed

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Joey Hess wrote:
> I also thought about using symbol files for the not very shared
> libraries in the fbreader source package, but there's C++ symbol
> mangling going on, so I think I can't.

You can, but it generally means having to handle arch-specific symbols
files because symbol mangling vary from arch to arch (at least between
32bit and 64bit arch).

> > 1/ The symbols files associate a minimum version to each symbol that an
> > application might be using. By default, that version is calculated as the
> > first version where the symbol appeared.
>
> Assuming the first version of the symbol is at least in oldstable. :-)

In fact, I scanned stable, testing and unstable to create the initial
files. So, oldstable has not been considered.  And now the files are kept
up-to-date with all unstable uploads (experimental ones are not
considered).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog