Re: What to do when the LaTeX sources are missing, but an XML equivalent was rewritten from scratch ?

> Well, I still think that there is a difference between a PDF file and a
> binary executable, and that in any case, a PDF file is not a "program"
> in the same sense as the commands and applications we use, but since
> this discussion already happened before, I will not try to change the
> mind of the local majority. Also, to my knowledge, there are no good PDF
> editors in Debian.

There's pdfedit, which should work well enough.

But not all pdf files are editable - they can ship text as vector or
raster data.

I think we need to make a difference here if upstream's original
document is the pdf - or if the pdf was created from xml/tex/... source.
It's not common to create documentations as pdf file in pdfedit or Adobe
Acrobat, but it may happen, and then they should be allowed in main
(probably after checking for embedded fonts).

Cheers,

Bernd

--
Bernd Zeimetz