Re: MicroImages Leaving LINUX

[Gene Kersey]
> Because of my profession, and my desire to set up my own company
> after retirement next year, I have been particularly aware of
> developments in the GIS realm.  One of the few professional level,
> commercial GIS suites available for Linux has been MicroImages
> "MIPs".

I am very pleased to see a GIS user posting to debian-devel.  Are you
aware of the Debian GIS group?  We are working to make Debian the best
possible platform for processing and using georeferenced information.
Please check out the group pages on
<URL:http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGis/> and the news letter we sent
out a few weeks ago,
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/10/msg00005.html>.

It would be nice to know if any of the free software available is
providing similar functionality to the MIPs package, and what should
be improved in the free software tools to make it a viable
alternative.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen