Re: Watching mentors and nifticlib

Hi,

[ not sure whether the original post should have been posted to
debian-med instead of debian-devel. CC'ing it for now, but I guess we
should move there... ]

On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 02:10:35PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as you know we have several people who maintain Debian-Med relevant
> packages but are no official DDs and thus needs sponsoring.  Today
> I stumpled over a new version of nifticlib that would close the
> show stopper bug which keeps the current version out of testing -
> so we might be interested to get this uploaded soon. This fact
> brought up several issues to discuss:
>
>   1. Would it be interesting to get mentors included into our
>      web-sentinel David is continuousely busy to enhance.  We
>      could parse mentors whether there are packages hanging around
>      that are mentioned in our tasks packages.
I like the idea, but it would only help solving the problem, if there
are actually some DDs reading it and acting accordingly.

>   2. What is the general procedure for sponsoring those packages?
>      I was not able to find any information whether Michael has
>      "his favourite sponsor".  Well I guess Michael is basically
>      interested in getting his stuff uploaded soon and thus he will
>      probably not really care who is just uploading but the fact
>      that he did not announced a request for sponsoring here is
>      a sign that he is not really seeking a sponsor and my guess
>      is that the delay in the upload is just caused by the problems
>      of ftp-master.
Indeed, I have a very reliable sponsor. In fact he is more than a
sponsor and (at least to some degree) we group-maintain all of 'my'
packages.

In general I think that packages should not be uploaded without a formal
request. Some people (including me) use mentors.d.n. to provide
unfinished packages for sponsors and beta-tester. Having such a package
uploaded could introduce unecessary, because already known, bugs to
Debian unstable.

>      But besides these assumptions I wonder how we could keep track
>      of the sponsoring procedure.  I would love if we would have some
>      control who sponsored a package to cause some action in case
>      this sponsor is say on vacation or what else.  What do you
>      think about this.
>
> BTW, Michael, what do you think about pushing your packaging stuff
> of nifticlib into our Debian-Med SVN?
We switched to Git some time ago and all my packages are available from
git.debian.org. The control files should list the corresponding
repository. If one package is not there (yet), it is because no
upload/update was necessary since I started moving. The next upload will
make the package repository available as well.

Because I use Git + git-buildpackage and a repository layout different
from the debian-med SVN I don't want to push things to it. But given the
distributed nature of Git, it should be equally easy to get the package
sources and provide patches for it.

Cheers,

Michael

--