Re: Default mail-transport-agent

On 24-Oct-07, 11:52 (CDT), martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> also sprach Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> [2007.10.24.1742 +0200]:
> > No. if we ever switch away from exim, which we should, (a move the exim
> > maintainer sure would love :), less bugreports), the only good option is
> > to use a package that does not listen on any interface by default and
> > just does local delivery.
> >
> > Something like nullmailer or ssmtp.
> postfix with minimal configuration will do exactly that.

It's still overkill for most user setups, assuming "most" is home
machines that need/want local delivery and send everything else to a
smarthost. Local delivery needs to include basic alias translation, so
that all the root email goes to the local user.

Neither ssmtp or nullmailer do local delivery, according to the

Taking a quick look at eveything that Provides: mail-transport-agent,
it doesn't appear that any of the "small" mailers can do local delivery
and relay to a smarthost. Except maybe masqmail, but it also has
complications, which would be nice to avoid.

So maybe postfix (with a proper default config) *is* the minimal

FWIW, I use postfix everywhere, so I only need to deal with one MTA. I
find postfix more understandable than exim, but I know others feel the

Steve Greenland
    world.       -- seen on the net