Re: Enabling and installing of "risky" ("patented") codecs - made easy

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 09:15:42AM +0200, Fabian Greffrath wrote:
[...]
> I suggest that, if such a repository will be created for patented
> codecs, that e.g. sponsored uploads will not be allowed to this
> archive. I know that most of you will hate this idea, but I
> believe it is necessary to keep the original purpose of such an
> archive.

As a sponsoree myself, I'm not entirely certain I understand why
it's any more likely that a sponsoring DD will overlook and upload a
package with the wrong section, than that a DD will upload a
similarly incorrect package he or she directly maintains. And either
way, wouldn't verifying that a package is appropriate for some new
patent-problems section fall on the ftpmasters and their delegates
to police? And further, if this became canonized in policy as a must
or required directive, wouldn't such a problem warrant a bug of
severity serious, potentially release-critical even?
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); PGP(9E8DFF2E4F5995F8FEADDC5829ABF7441FB84657);
SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); IRC(fungi@irc.yuggoth.org#ccl); ICQ(114362511);