how to find out the sponsor of an upload?

How can I find out who sponsored a particular upload? (I only need to do
it by hand, not an automated lookup.)

I expected that I could locate the upload announcement on
debian-devel-changes, then verify the signature to get the key ID, and
look that up. I got a key ID, but can't find out whose it is, suggesting
it's not in the keyring... Now I'm confused.

It would be useful if this information was recorded somewhere,
especially as dak has to verify the key on uploads anyway.

As an aside, db.debian.org only allows searching by whole fingerprint, not
key ID.

thanks
Hamish