Re: Compiling all packages with debug information?

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 10:27:40AM +0200, Philipp Marek wrote:
> How about compiling all programs with debugging information, and strip them
> into a "-dbginfo" package, or something likewise for "apt-get source"? Like
> the "-dev" packages only people who think they need them would install them,
> perhaps in a new repository "dbginfo" (like unstable, or testing).

This is already done for a number of packages. The package names should have
the prefix -dbg and install all debugging symbols to /usr/lib/debug/<path> so
they are installable with apt-get / aptitude just like any other package.

However, it is not a requirement yet to have a -dbg package for all source
packages. People fear that the number of packages (and thus the archive size)
grows too much. There is an ongoing discussion though about how to solve this
- I could not find a pointer to it right now though.

Cheers,
Sebastian