Re: Report on the Debian pkg-perl group presence at YAPC::EU 2007

On Oct 5, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Jos I. Boumans wrote:
On Oct 3, 2007, at 5:59 PM, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
CPANPLUS will be the main
CPAN infrastructure starting with Perl 5.10 (due Real Soon Now). This
has major implications for our group, specially for dh-make-perl, as
we are probably duplicating work by now - Via the CPANPLUS Dist::Deb
[5] infrastructure

You can find the instructions to use the repository here:

  http://debian.pkgs.cpan.org/

These packages are built with a different prefix (cpan-) and are
installed in user space on debian boxes, rather than in the official
debian locations to avoid conflicts. More details on this on the
above instructions page.

However, the same APIs used to build the custom packages, can also
be used to create 'proper' debian packages, which can go through
your QA procedure before being integrated in the official releases,
hopefully eliminating a lot of the tedious, repetitive work needed
to release CPAN modules, allowing you to focus on the more important
QA aspects.

I've talked at length with Jeremiah about this, and we found that
it's basically a matter of 'just doing it' to make this work, as
all the needed interfaces are there.

Jeremiah's been investigating how to do this best and I've offered
him, and by proxy you all, my best efforts to assist him in doing
so.

First I want to say that Jos has been very helpful in all this. His knowledge of perl is somewhat better than my own as you might imagine so I have really tested his patience. :-)

In trying to replicate the CPANPLUS cron job on my chroot environment I ran into a bug [0] which I think might be solved with dpkg-divert. I think dpkg-divert is what I want from viewing a post on perl.org [1]

Like Jos, I would love to see this fixed so that cpanplus works and can be actively used to build debian packages, it seems like it would quickly open up all of CPAN to debian in an nearly automated fashion (I am aware that we will always need to have humans check the packages). I have not had a lot of time to work on this recently, largely because I have been looking for gainful employment which takes away from my real vocation as a debian perl package maintainer, so I welcome any and all co-operation and advice.

	Best regards,

	Jeremiah

[0] http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/History.html?id=29259
[1] http://use.perl.org/comments.pl? sid=37084&op=Reply&threshold=0&commentsort=0&mode=thread&pid=58040