Re: Proposal regarding future packaging

23-09-2007, Manoj Srivastava:
[]
>>> It doesn't catch files created by Maintainer scripts?
>
>> This is the design flaw in those scripts (even in whole package
>> management).
>
>         I am not sure you have made your case here.
>
>         Currently, using maintainer scripts, it is indeed possible to
>  create a configuration file that is referred to by many packages, but
>  is owned by none -- so the file survives even though the package that
>  created it went away.
>
>         Why is this a design flaw?

Where to find information about those files easily?

Negative search on `dpkg -L *' ?:)

What i mean is absolute freedom in maintainer scripts. Bad freedom, where
scripts can do anything they like. No comprehensive logging/tracing
infrastructure at all, everything is ad hoc.

Also RC scripting. But this is another story, though.
____