Re: Debian's Linux kernel continues to regress on freedom

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 10:13:38AM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

> > Coming back to looking at Debian after being preoccupied by family business, I
> > see that the kernel team is not even seriously trying to separate out any
> > non-free material.  There have been severe regressions from sarge and no attempt
> > is being made to fix them.

> Why don't you start to send patches then. Seems you have enough free
> time to look after such issues. Fixing Kernels to work on more
> (sometimes even important machines, like buildds) is a much more
> important job than to get rid of oh so non-free firmware.

There isn't any patch that should be required here.  There is already a
script in the kernel team repo to be used for pruning non-free firmware from
the tarball, and it appears that whoever produced the initial uploads of
2.6.21 and 2.6.22 for Debian omitted this step.