Re: Dependencies on shared libs, news and difference between archs

Hi Raphael,

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 15:19:02 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> I think my work is mostly ready for unstable as it is. The last step is to
> convince Guillem Jover, the main dpkg maintainer, to merge that in the
> master branch. He believes that supporting odd cases encourages bad
> practice on library management. I don't think so. On the contrary I'd like
> to promote sane library management and I made some efforts in the included
> documentation to promote that.

First, thanks for your work on this!

For libraries with versioned symbols, just checking for the needed
version nodes should be enough, and I'd say that adding symbols to
a previously existing version node or breaking their ABI is broken,
and something that we should not tolerate.

But for libraries w/o versioned symbols your solution is the most
reasonable, for now libs with versioned symbols could use it as
well and we can add a different mode for version-node-only support
afterwards.

So let's start the merging process anyway, I'll try to review the
branch in the next days, although Frank has been tracking this, I'm
not sure if he did a final review.

regards,
guillem