Re: Thoughts about including scsiaddgui

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:26:58 -0400
icelinux@icelinux.net wrote:

> Quoting Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>:
>

> > If you are going to be the Debian Maintainer for this package, you
> > should be able to at least understand error reports from the package
> > which is very difficult if you don't understand the interpreter
> > output in the case of python.
>
>   So if I am able to find someone who is not currently a Debian
> package maintainer
> who is willing to take on the job I should have them register as the
> package maintainer and not I?

Yes. Except that you don't have to go trying to find someone. You should
file a RFP bug against wnpp and wait until someone has sufficient
interest and skills to take on the maintenance of this package in
Debian. If that person is not a DD already, they will need a sponsor
via debian-mentors.

Note that RFP bugs that stay open a very long time will eventually be
closed because the package has not stimulated or deserved sufficient
interest. Just because an upstream project releases free software does
not mean that it deserves a place in Debian. As you are unable or
unwilling to shoulder the burden of maintaining scsiaddgui yourself, if
nobody else takes it on there is no way of getting it into Debian. We
have quite enough vanity packages already (packages that have very few
users, typically the upstream developer(s)).

>   I was thinking it would be best for me to register as the
> maintainer for all of the packages that we are trying to get included
> so that I could make sure that these packages are indeed getting the
> necessary attention and seek additional developers if needed.

No. That is the job of the package maintainer to seek co-maintainers.
Without experience of python you would be unsuitable as the maintainer
of this package - with or without your lack of interest in actually
doing the maintenance tasks on a package level. You should not be
involved in the maintenance of any packages which you are unable or
unwilling to maintain, i.e. fix bugs yourself.

If the package is not getting the attention needed then you - just like
any other Debian user - should file a bug so that the maintainer can
fix the issue.

--

Neil Williams