Re: Why no Opera?

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 09:17:06PM +0000, icelinux@icelinux.net wrote:

> >> Ok. Sow how are security updates done in Debian? Do you just patch
> >>the old software or do you test and release a new version. At least no
> >>one has found the new bugs yet, a few days delay could be big trouble.
> >
> >http://www.debian.org/security/faq#oldversion
> >

> Quote: Q: How is security handled for contrib and non-free?
>
> A: The short answer is: it's not. Contrib and non-free aren't official
> parts of the Debian Distribution and are not released, and thus not
> supported by the security team. Some non-free packages are distributed
> without source or without a license allowing the distribution of modified
> versions. In those cases no security fixes can be made at all. If it is
> possible to fix the problem, and the package maintainer or someone else
> provides correct updated packages, then the security team will generally
> process them and release an advisory.
>
> So this would not be an issue that involves the security team at all,
> unless the package maintainer releases an updated version. Opera also
> checks for updates, so users should be notified if there is a new version
> available.

  Software is supposed also to be installable, which opera is not most
of the time, because of wrong depends on qt (most often). And it's no
way we will accept the statically linked version in Debian. There is
plenty of reasons why the opera .deb they distribute suck in a
Debian-the-distribution point of view.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit