Re: Why no Opera?

Quoting Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>:

Another problem that would have to be resolved is security support over the >lifetime of a Debian stable release. I can see
creating a new Debian package if some Debian developer wants to put in the
work to better integrate the software into Debian, but just dropping the
vendor's Debian package in our archive seems like entirely pointless
makework that potentially causes problems for the security team down the
road.  --

Please elaborate.

For closed-source, non-free large commercial software packages like Opera
(and Oracle Express, and others) that are already distributed as Debian
packages by the companies that sell them, it's unclear to me what
advantages there are in including packages in Debian non-free.

Making the software available to custom debian projects in the debian repository seems like an advantage.

Albert Einstein