Re: libsoqt change Qt3 -> Qt4: change package?

Hi,

> Or do I keep the SONAME but put it into a new package, like we do for
> the gcc ABI transitions?  If so, is there a convention or do I just
> pick a suffix I like (e.g. qt4)?

If there're qt3 applications using your library, I think you should
build extra -qt4 packages and keep the qt3 packages until all people
migrated to qt4.

hal:~# apt-cache rdepends libsoqt20
libsoqt20
Reverse Depends:
  libsoqt-dev

makes it look like there is no other package using the library now, so
it should not be a big problem to move from qt3 to qt4. But I think even
then you should add a suffix to make your change obvious.

But the real question is: how long will qt3 stay in Debian, and how many
people would like to use your library with it in the future - so you
probably need to build qt3 and qt4 versions of it anyway.

Cheers,

Bernd

--
Bernd Zeimetz