libsoqt change Qt3 -> Qt4: change package?

Hi,

I need some guidance from library packaging gurus.

Libsoqt is a library that is currently linked with Qt3.  I've had a
request to rebuild it with Qt4 instead (#415382) which can be done by
simply changing the configuration.

Can I simply upload the reconfigured shared library package, which now
depends on the qt4 packages rather than qt3 packages?

Or do I need to change the SONAME?

Or do I keep the SONAME but put it into a new package, like we do for
the gcc ABI transitions?  If so, is there a convention or do I just
pick a suffix I like (e.g. qt4)?

Thanks,
-Steve