Re: native NMUs

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 05:44:52PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> NMUs of native packages have always seemed sorta strange to me, and I think
> I've figured out why as I was painting a room. Painting is a great way to
> think, since you already are in a frame of mind that avoids painting yourself
> into corners. ;-)

> Many native packages are not Debian-specifc software, but instead
> debian-originated software (examples: dpkg, apt). Other unrelated distros
> might choose to use native Debian software. Just because it's
> debian-originated software, doesn't mean that the project as a whole is its
> "upsteam" maintainer though. Its Debian maintainer is the only upstream
> maintainer. So shouldn't he be the only one who releases new tarballs of the
> software?

> The developer's reference doesn't specify whether a NMU of a native
> package should include a release of a new tarball, or not. I suspect that
> if NMUed native packages in the archive are checked, some of the uploads
> will have included a -0.1.tar.gz, and some will have included a -0.1.diff.gz.
> dpkg-source can generate either depending on what tarballs are present before
> the build.

> Releasing a new tarball of a native package via an NMU is especially
> problimatic since the package might have its own website, mailing lists, and
> release procedures outside of Debian. So why do it when a .diff.gz can be
> released instead? And if a native package changes to having a .diff.gz and a
> version number with a dash, why consider it native anymore? Indeed, linda
> doesn't, warning "Package switches from native to non-native version
> number." [1]

> We could do away with the concept of NMUs of native software, and do away
> with this uncertanty, ambiguity, bugginess, etc. Simply say that when a
> NMU of a native package is done, the package stops being native in
> Debian (until the next maintainer upload, presumably). So the NMU adds
> "-0.1" to the version number, like any NMU. The .orig.tar.gz from the
> maintainer's last release is kept in the archive, with a .diff.gz added
> that conveniently contains only the NMU's changes. Since it's not a native
> package, it will be correct for the changelog to be installed as
> changelog.Debian.gz, and correct for the version number to contain a dash.

I'm in total agreement with this.  I was staying out of this thread because
I've been one of the proponents of using -0.x for NMUs of native packages in
spite of the inconsistency with Policy, and I wasn't sure that this
reasoning wasn't just a post-hoc rationalization on my part.  Since you've
come to the same conclusion, I suppose it isn't. :)