Re: bonding and bridging

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 01:25:49AM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:

> I want to have a server with two Ethernet links in a redundant configuration,
> and to bridge it as the primary interface.  So far the below is the only
> configuration in /etc/network/interfaces that I can get to work.
>
> It would be cleaner and clearer if I could have a separate bond0 device
> specified in the interfaces file, but according to my experiments so far this
> seems impossible.

Add the bonding module to /etc/modules, so that bond0 exists when the
network interfaces are brought up. Then you can do something like:

iface bond0 inet static
	address 0.0.0.0
	netmask 0.0.0.0
	slaves eth0 eth1

iface xenbr0 inet static
	address 10.0.0.123
	gateway 10.0.0.1
	bridge_ports bond0

That should do virtually all that you want. Look into the README.Debians
of the bridge-utils and ifenslave packages for more details.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>