Re: new ICU in experimental

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 08:51:31AM -0400, Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org> wrote:

> To all users of ICU, and particularly to maintainers of packages that
> depend upon ICU, I have uploaded a new ICU to experimental.  This is a
> "draft" release, as they call it, of ICU 3.8.  There are some new
> interfaces and support for several new features as well as a number of
> bug fixes.
>
> Starting with 3.8, I have removed the soname from the -dev package
> name.  Starting with the 3.8 upload, the -dev package will be called
> simply libicu-dev.  The ICU people have been historically careful
> about source compatibility, and besides, after a few years of
> maintaining several library packages plus the release team's ability
> to trigger automatic binary NMUs, I have come to believe that it's
> better to omit the soname from the -dev package unless there is an
> explicit desire to be able to support multiple versions
> simultaneously.
(...)

Frankly, I'm not even sure the bump of soname is necessary on the library.
Last time I (quickly and not deeply) checked, which was a few weeks ago,
it didn't look like diffently sonamed icu libraries were ABI incompatible.
It all seems to be symbol additions and bug fixes, as you say in your
first paragraph. Since when does this grant soname bumping ? shlibs bumping
should be more than enough if the ABI is proven stable.

Mike