new ICU in experimental

To all users of ICU, and particularly to maintainers of packages that
depend upon ICU, I have uploaded a new ICU to experimental.  This is a
"draft" release, as they call it, of ICU 3.8.  There are some new
interfaces and support for several new features as well as a number of
bug fixes.

Starting with 3.8, I have removed the soname from the -dev package
name.  Starting with the 3.8 upload, the -dev package will be called
simply libicu-dev.  The ICU people have been historically careful
about source compatibility, and besides, after a few years of
maintaining several library packages plus the release team's ability
to trigger automatic binary NMUs, I have come to believe that it's
better to omit the soname from the -dev package unless there is an
explicit desire to be able to support multiple versions
simultaneously.

Once ICU 3.8 hits unstable (which I will coordinate with the release
team since will cause a small library transition), maintainers of
packages that use ICU should replace their build depends on
libicu34-dev or libicu36-dev to libicu-dev.  Hopefully for future ICU
releases, a binary NMU will be sufficient.  The new libicu-dev
packages will not "provide" libicu34-dev or libicu36-dev because I
have not rigorously verified that they can and wish to encourage this
transition to be made once and for all.

I have done some informal testing of the new packages and haven't
found any problems, but I certainly encourage people with a vested
interest to give these a spin especially with upstream primed to
include fixes before the 3.8 release in September.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>