Re: GTK1 Apps (was: Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian)

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:36:40 +0100
Matthew Johnson <mjj29@trinhall.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > I don't have any power to remove their packages from Debian, but I
> > urge every maintainer of a package depending on GTK+ 1.2 to either
> > start the work on GTK2 porting it or consider its removal. And now is
> > more than the time to start this.
>
> Neil Williams wrote:
> > If anyone wants *any* packages on
> > http://wiki.debian.org/GTK+_1%2e2_leftovers to remain in Debian after
> > Lenny, then do as I have done and take over the upstream maintenance
> > of the old code and do the port yourself.  Nobody else is apparently
> > willing to do it.
>
> I am the gbib maintainer and despite the fact that it is fairly
> unmaintained upstream I use it regularly and know of no good
> replacement. I would love to port it it to GTK2, and it is a fairly
> simple UI, but while I can keep on top of any RC bugs which may arise
> (there are none at the moment), and do the odd tweak, I certainly don't
> know enough GTK to be able to port it to GTK2; nor do I have the time to
> learn right now.
>
> Are there any guides, howtos, instructions or anything else useful for
> porting gtk1 apps to gtk2? I certainly would like to keep this package I
> use daily in Debian, as I'm sure would many of my 350*(popcon factor)
> users.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

The GTK documentation itself contains instructions on porting from gtk1 to gtk2.
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/migrating.html

Beyond that, the changes are almost entirely package-specific.

Depending on the amount of customisation of Gtk widgets within the gtk1
codebase, it can be a lengthy task involving quite a lot of detailed C
hacking.

It comes down to this analysis of your upstream code:
1. Does the code customise Gtk widgets into new forms?
2. How much logic is 'hidden' in the GUI? (checks on missing values in
dialog boxes, etc.)
3. Was any work done to port from gtk1.0 to gtk1.2 because much of that
will have to be undone.
4. Basically, how easy would it be to rewrite your application for Qt -
if you knew the Qt libraries as well as you know Gtk1?

The more affirmative answers you get, the more work is involved.

--

Neil Williams