Re: .desktop file for a wm

Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz <rodrigo@nul-unu.com> writes:

> sawfish includes a .desktop file, which gets installed into
>  /usr/share/gnome/wm-properties/Sawfish.desktop
> and which is used (I presume) by Gnome, to change the active WM.

> lintian says that it's missing the required 'Type' key. But said key has
> the allowed values Application, Link and Directory[1], none of which
> seem very well suited for a wm.

Application here is more general than I think it sounds like.

> Moreover, metacity's equivalent file also lacks the entry.

> So, should I add it anyways? As Application?

It looks like it to me.

> Or should I just override the lintian error?

The freedesktop.org standard says that a .desktop file without a Type
field is invalid.  If that's not correct, someone needs to work to get the
standard updated, but I'm pretty sure that any .desktop file for any
executable program is supposed to be of type Application.