Re: [CMake] Producing deb package with 'ar'

Am Montag 06 August 2007 12:34 schrieb Mathieu Malaterre:
>   I am currently working on integrating debian packaging system in
> cpack (part of CMake, see cmake.org). Basically cpack used to have a
> simple tarball system for creating package on *NIX. I simply had to
> encapsulate this tarball within an 'ar'ball, with a control and a
> md5sums file (*)
>
>   I am now wondering if I should also create some sort of debian
> 'source' package. As far as I understand there is no such thing, but
> instead your are distributing a copy of the original tarball of the
> package and a diff file. Is this correct ? If so I need to generate a
> diff file wich contains a minial 'debian/rules' file, correct ?

I looked at it but didn't want to comment on that on the cmake mailing list.
The debs created by CMake really cannot be used for inclusion in an official
debian repository:

1. The "This package was created by CMake" is not really necessary.

2. If the prefix is set to something other than /usr, e.g. /usr/local, it is
not made sure that the package is installed to /usr instead of to the prefix
location, thus dpkg will write to /usr/local. Surely not wanted.

3. Different optimisation defaults.

4. The CMake default is to use rpath.

5. No automatic stripping of binaries.

6. Currently no split of big packages (e.g. lib, devel and bin packages)
although the COMPONENT stuff may work as such but needs adjustment to
properly name such packages.

7. Currently not possible to Provide Conflicts, Recommends, Suggests and
Replaces. It is also rather hard as the Debian architecture is not filled in
automatically. This should be provided by a CMake variable.

8. There is no equivalent for debian/copyright, /usr/share/doc/<package> is
usually not populated by upstream packages.

It kind of reminds me of the difference between the formerly upstream "cups"
package and the cupsys packages in Debian.
Currently, cpack's capability to create .deb packages is a possibility to
install und uninstall program files in some way, and not more.

HS

PS: Definitely not meant as flaming!