Re: Symbol-based dependencies on shared libraries: some news

On Sun, Aug 05, 2007 at 05:11:53PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Aug 2007, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > > No, because they might change with the toolchain and we want to track that
> > > properly...

> > Why does it need tracking?  If these symbols were to disappear that would
> > be no loss, it shouldn't be relevant to the library ABIs at all.  I think it
> > would indeed be better to exclude these symbols from the list.

> Somehow I always thought that the executables were using those symbols.
> If that's not the case, and if they are only used by the internal
> machinery (i.e. none of those symbols actually appear undefined in objdump's
> output of a program), then I'll happily strip them from the symbols file.

Yes, they are symbols that are not referenced by other objects.  In fact, I
believe you'll find in the case of each of these symbols that *every* binary
on the given architecture includes their own copy of these symbols,
including executables as well as libraries.

> That exclude list will still have to be maintained over the years I think
> since the list will probably evolve.

Hopefully it will evolve with negative magnitude, so we get fewer such
symbols over the years rather than more of them. :)  I've seen other people
opine before, and I agree, that these extra exported symbols ought to be
considered bugs in the toolchain, and ought to eventually be removed from
the export list.

> I'm checking for example on a powerpc machine:

[...]

> So it looks like those symbols are defined in each and every binary.
> But the programs do not rely on the same symbols from the libraries.
> Thus it seems fine to exclude them from the symbols files.

Yep.

Cheers,