Re: making debian/copyright machine-interpretable

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 11:13:16PM -0700, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
(...)
> * Having to munge the license text to fit it in the 822 format is one of
>   the uglier bits of this proposal, especially since we don't require
>   that license texts be DFSG free..

Surely, any license text, be it DFSG free or not, can be reformatted.

(...)
> * Makes even more clear that debian/copyright is not the best place for
>   Source URLs. They rather stick out from the other data, and this would
>   be a great time to go ahead and move them to the control file.
>   Dropping them entirely in favour of watch files -- not so good: It's
>   good to know where a package came from even if a tarball can't be
>   auto-extracted from there by uscan.

Seconded. By the way, it would be nice if lintian did a check of the
url. It often happens that when I look at a url in copyright files, they
are so old that they don't exist anymore.

Mike