Re: Installation of Recommends by default on October 1st

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 21:57:01 +0200
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Le mercredi 01 août 2007 à 19:14 +0100, Neil Williams a écrit :
> > Precisely - just what is the benefit?
>
> Stopping to get stupid bug reports from either users not having
> installed Recommends: and complaining about missing functionality,

That smacks of a poor manpage/docs more than a need to *force* a change
in apt behaviour.

Sledgehammer vs nut anyone?

What about a different solution:

apt does NOT install Recommends: by default but it DOES give more
information on what the recommended packages can actually DO and this
information is also available to reportbug etc.?

Currently, all you see is a package name - if the default apt behaviour
was to display the description (ala aptitude) then the user can make an
intelligent choice. I may even install one or two Recommends: myself
but I need to know WHY foobar5 is useful in the first place.

This should NOT be a forced change, it should not have to be a
system-wide opt-out implemented on every single machine again and
again. It should be a method to support an informed choice.

Blindly installing all Recommends: is a BAD idea.

> or
> users complaining about non-essential Depends: bloating their disk
> space.

On that, will apt be given an autorecommendremove option to complement
this change? Recommends: should not be a blanket imposition. Users and
system admins need a method of opting out of Recommends at any stage -
preferably right at the start but also to strip out unwanted bloat at
any later stage too.

I still think this is simply the wrong thing to do with apt.

Fixing Recommends: is *not* sufficient justification IMHO.

--

Neil Williams