Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Steve Greenland wrote:
> 1. The format that will be used by Debian packages to specify their menu
> entry. I think the consensus in this thread is that the FDo format is
> better and more flexible than the current Debian menu system format.

I wouldn't argue that it's better or more flexible. It is, however, a
broadly accepted standard, and quite likely "good enough".

> Transitioning to the FDo format is doable by coding a menu-method for
> each WM/panel/whatever that does not currently support the FDo format
> directly, and adjusting the menu package to prefer FDo format entries
> over the current format.

Once menu is able to read .desktop files, and extract the same
information from them that it extracts from menu file, there should be
no need of any new menu-methods.

--
see shy jo