Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Le mercredi 25 juillet 2007 à 16:40 +0200, Frank Küster a écrit :
>> Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> > Actually, it's not. That's Joss' whole point. We should hide entries,
>> > such as the python interpreter for novice users (at least in
>> > environments like KDE/GNOME/XFCE, which target the novice users).
>> > If the Debian menu is too overloaded, it becomes less useful.
>> > Sometimes, less is more imho.
>>
>> I tend to disagree, simply because I think that python shouldn't have a
>> menu entry at all.  Who wants to convince me (or give me an URL to an
>> archived discussion) that it should have one?
>
> As long as it is not shown, it doesn't matter, so I guess we can agree
> on this matter.

No, not at all.  I have not yet seen a convincing argument for hiding
menu entries.  The only ones were "less is more", which is to vague to
get one much further, and "we need to hide stuff like python", which is
plain wrong IMHO because I think python shouldn't have a menu entry at
all.

In particular, nobody has yet answered Marvin's argument about not
mixing up the purpose of the menu and the toolbar,

,----
| Gnome and KDE are targeted primarily at desktop users, not servers.  If,
| as a desktop user, I install a graphical app on my machine, I *expect*
| to see that app in the main menu.  The place where I put important
| and/or frequently used apps is on a panel/toolbar.
`----

Mike overlooked the word "graphical", and since then we are discussing
python, not menu/.desktop.

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster