Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 03:17:51PM +0200, Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> wrote:
>> Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:

>> > If you install the python interpreter on your machine, do you also expect it
>> > to appear in the main menu ?
>>
>> No, why do you ask?  The python interpreter isn't a graphical
>> application.  It also doesn't have a menu entry, so there's nothing to
>> hide.
>
> You obviously never looked at the Debian menu.

How do you come to that conclusion?  On the contrary, I use it
frequently (there's other menu in my WM).

But from Marvin's sentence (which I think is right)

,----
| If, as a desktop user, I install a graphical app on my machine, I
| *expect* to see that app in the main menu
`----

you cannot conclude on his (or my) expectations regarding python, because
python is not a graphical application.

In case you are in fact interested in the unrelated question "Should
non-graphical applications have a menu entry?", here's my opinion:  In
most cases I think they shouldn't.  All those interpreters in
Applications/Programming are a good example for executables which IMHO
don't need a menu entry.

There may be cases, though, were a menu entry makes sense.  In
particular for programs which usually need their own terminal, anyway,
and are likely to stay open for a while (e.g. mutt).  Selecting
appropriate settings for the terminal used is a different issue...

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)