Re: Intention to drop sparc32 support for Lenny

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 02:39:10PM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> OK, not being a SPARC expert myself, I'd still like to see a list of
> issues or bugs which are worth dropping a whole sub-architecture.
>
> Maybe some of them don't even require a SPARC guru to fix them? Maybe
> some are "easy" enough so someone could fix them after reading some
> documentation? In that case I'm willing to have a look at them.

You can start by setting up your own private infrastructure for a new
sparc32 architecture, pointing a couple of buildds at it, and note what
breaks.

You will need to patch gcc and glibc for your new architecture, as you
will need to build for sparcv7 or sparcv8, and we are switching to build
for sparcv8plus, as we are targetting ultrasparcs only.  Once you have
your unofficial port established, it shouldn't be difficult to get
sparc32 support into the official packages.

Then you can do whatever needs to be done with the kernel.  It would be
nice to have things working on all sun4c, d, and m machines.

Hope this helps.