Re: considering removal of fireflier

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:23:58 +0200
Martin MAURER <martinmaurer@gmx.at> wrote:

> The project has been dead for more than a year now. Anyways, apart from
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=433817, which I can
> easily solve by removing fireflier-client-gtk, there are no known
> problems.
> Should I ask for removal of it? Especially as orphaning it would mean a
> dead package where no upstream exists either.

Plenty of orphaned packages have no upstream (plenty of non-orphaned
packages too). It isn't an automatic reason to remove the package.

(I liked the look of one package with a dead upstream and took over
upstream development - it does happen. Upstream stopped development in
1999, I took over last year. The fact that it took 7 years is besides
the point, as long as the package remains usable. A dead upstream
makes restarting development quite easy - get the apt source, strip
out the generated stuff and start a new RCS of whatever flavour you
choose - it's actually less work than picking up development of a
half-dead project where you have to ask for commit access and deal
with someone else's configuration.)

What are the alternative packages?

> There has been a security problem recently, which I corrected (see
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=431332)
> If someone has the old version installed, and we remove fireflier from
> the archives too early, then he might end up with the old version when
> he doesn't update too often (thinking of all the testing/unstable
> users). If I would remove fireflier, what would be the best way to
> handle this issue ?

If you just orphan the package, everyone will get the update -
providing the orphaned package remains clear of RC bugs.

--

Neil Williams