Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Le Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 07:32:28PM +0200, Josselin Mouette a écrit :

> > The Debian menu system will generate .desktop files from .menu files if the
> > .desktop file does not exist. This is intended solely
> > as a temporary compatibility measure.
>
> This is a very bad idea. It is going to clutter the freedesktop menu
> with tons of useless entries with ugly icons and make it as useless as
> the Debian menu. Please don't do that, and take the opportunity to
> enforce stricter rules about what should be in the menu. If this is
> done, the policy changes you are suggesting will just be ignored.

In the end, there will not be a big difference if the generation of the
.desktop files will be made by human or computer, provided that there is
no information on what the GNOME, KDE, and XFCE teams want or do not
want in their menu. The tool for hiding entries exists. All we need is
information. In the absence of information, yes, ugly icons and menu
entries opening terminals to run interactive command-line programs will
appear.

PS : what is wrong with XPM ? If it is inferior to PNG, I can convert
the icons in the packages I maintain. But XPM is a text file, which is
convenient since we (unfortunately) use this .diff.gz which requires to
uuencode any binary addition to a package.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org