Lintian test for desktop files (was Re: adding desktop files to misc packages)

On Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 08:54:47PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 16 July 2007 20:44, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > There are some typos there too ('GameAction', 'ActionGame') which I'm
> > going to file bugs now.
>
> The use of plurals for both seems to be a bug too, looking at other
> categories.

True. It looks like there is only one culprit (in my system, at least):
armagetronad. Bug filed (#433372).

I've just coded in a test for Lintian to implement validation of desktop
files. After implementing it (and sending it to the BTS, see #433411), I've
noticed that there was an outstanding bug report (#277441) which has been
open for over 3 years asking for just this feature.

My lintian tests do less than 'desktop-file-validate' (a tool I didn't know
about, until I read #277441) but can be easily extended based on the code of
that tool to avoid adding too many dependencies to lintian if needed.

Might be interesting to add the test I submitted into lintian and see which
packages fail it.... specially if we want to promote the use of desktop vs.
menu entries.

Regards

Javier