Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, William Pitcock wrote:
> Because every time distros try to do an xmms->audacious migration on
> us, it causes additional load on our development effort because
> people file bug reports and demand that we behave exactly like XMMS.

Like it or not, bug reports are a part of software development that we
all have to deal with. Suggesting announcements or text for such a
transition may help, but at the end of the day distributions are going
to switch as projects mature or decay. Complaining about the
transition occuring isn't going to resolve your concern.

> I don't find the comparison offensive, I find the result of the
> comparison offensive, which is people dictating to us how our
> project will work.

Users shouldn't be able to dictate to you how the project works; they
don't do the development. In Debian's case, refer these users to our
bug tracking system (as all of our documentation refers users.)

Don Armstrong

--
"I'm a rational being--of a sort--rational enough, at least, to see the
symptoms of insanity around me. And I'm human, the same as the poeple