Re: Please all dependency info into your init.d script

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 07:18:17AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 July 2007 20.04:38 Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Toni Mueller <toni@debian.org> writes:

> > > Slapd may require an
> > > external SQL server if a suitable backend is defined, and I guess that
> > > a whole slew of other applications have similar problems.

> > You should require everything you might use directly using the
> > Should-Start stanza, which says that you should start after those
> > services if anything provides them but that not having them available
> > isn't an error.

> Hmmm.  With slapd, for example, it's certainly possible where one scenario
> (slapd uses SQL database) directly contradicts another scenario (startup of
> SQL database uses auth info which is provided by slapd).

> Not sure how a packager should deal with this.  (slapd being used only as an
> example.  Other scenarios for other services are certainly possible.)

Well, the OpenLDAP maintainers are likely to deal with this by declaring
that a SQL server that needs to read auth info out of LDAP for startup is
not supported, and the admin is on their own for making this work.

All Debian system accounts should be stored in the nss_files backend, where
adduser will put them by default.  If your system accounts are in LDAP,
you're making your system deliberately fragile, and I see no reason for
Debian to make that easier to do.