Re: Please all dependency info into your init.d script

Toni Mueller <toni@debian.org> writes:

> Packages may or may not require services, depending on actual runtime
> configuration. Eg. roundup can use one or more out of a number of
> database mechanisms, some of which require external SQL servers, and at
> least one that doesn't. Request-Tracker may be run at least with MySQL
> or PostgreSQL, so require which? What if the configuration specifies one
> while a "virtual service" $sqldatabase (purely fictional) might provide
> only the other? Should we require both? Slapd may require an external
> SQL server if a suitable backend is defined, and I guess that a whole
> slew of other applications have similar problems.

You should require everything you might use directly using the
Should-Start stanza, which says that you should start after those services
if anything provides them but that not having them available isn't an
error.

> To me, the one big question is why you want to stick with the SysV init
> script system instead of eg. switching to runit (my personal favourite,
> w/o having looked far, yet - but it's hard to get worse than SysV init,
> so...).

Because modifying a thousand packages in Debian to provide two different
init systems (or more -- everyone has their own favorite) is a really good
definition of "not fun."  We already have a huge infrastructural
investment in System V init scripts.

> IOW, I'm very doubtful that adding this new complexity really solves the
> problem instead of (maybe) making it even worse - worse, because the
> limited usefulness is now offset by increased changes for packaging
> errors and maintenance burden.

It's better than trying to maintain start sequence numbers, honestly.