Re: Considerations for 'xmms' removal from Debian

Joseph Neal a écrit :
> On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 10:09:35 +0200
> "Adam Cécile (Le_Vert)" <gandalf@le-vert.net> wrote:
>
>>> Xmms-shn was last updated March 28th 2007.  I personally have about
>>> 40 hours of zappa boots in shn format that would only be playable
>>> from mplayer and perhaps vlc if xmms were removed. This is a common
>>> media format.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorten
>>>
>> This has been proposed to Google SoC by Audacious.
>> xmms-shn can't be ported because their some licensing issues.
>>
>> Moreover audacious provies a mplayer backend in
>> audacious-plugins-ugly package.
>
> Mplayer support in shorten is lacking.  Specifically you can't seek
> within a file.  You have to start playback and wait for it to get to
> the part you want.  If you miss it you have to start back over at the
> beginning.  Since it's commonly used for live audio recordings that
> sometimes are not always broken up into tracks.
>
> I assume you mean that it can be ported but it can't be included in
> debian, the same as is the case with Monkey's Audio, OptimFROG and the
> like?  I've not tried it yet, but it looks like porting the plugins is
> going to be easier than actually making a deb. (I've still not got that
> down right).

Yes, I mean you can port it, but it won't ever be available through
debian (at least until we use the crap non-free bits, some people are
working on a free implemenation)

> I'm slightly concerned that packaging all the plugins in large
> bundles with many dependencies makes audacious more cumbersome
> to use on handhelds and car computers.  What about packaging the plugins
> individually and using metapackages to pull them in?

I would do this first, but many devs told me I should't do that, because
it'll lead ton much load for britney (sid->etch transition script).
If it's one condition for xmms replacement, just ask it and I'll do.

>>> It's my impression that audicious is not scriptable so it can't be
>>> as easily integrated into existing applications or controlled from
>>> emacs or irssi.
>>>
>> man audtool
>
> Kick ass, thanks.

Np,